After struggling to remove the timing gear to decouple the piston from the camshaft, I was successfully able to today by using a hex socket instead of a twelve point. Today's test yielded better, although still somewhat surprising results.
I started with 60ml of oil.When I sucked it in to the cylinder it went below the 0 mark so I added another 13ml which put the total back up at 60ml in the measuring device. The swept volume was fairly consistently 49ml with a little variance depending on the sealing of the cylinder and, cylinder head, and spark plug opening. The actual amount ranged from over 60ml down to about 40ml, but 48-50cc was consistently achieved.
The issue is that with a 49cc swept volume and 13cc clearance volume, the compression ratio is only about 4.8:1. I can safely attribute half of the 13ml of extra oil added to leaks from various points in the engine, which leads to an approximate clearance volume of 6.5cc and a compression ratio of 8.54:1.
These are the numbers I will use for my target air/fuel calculations for the compressor output. The next step is to test the compressor and measure its output. I will be constructing a device to measure this using an anemometer and a fixed volume container.
No comments:
Post a Comment